Sunday 24 March 2013

Top 10 Comedies


Since last week's list was full of tears, I thought it would be appropriate to change it up a bit and make this list full of laughter. Here's the list, I found this one pretty hard because I think that people's sense of humour are pretty different, so I think a lot of people will probably disagree with me on a lot of these, but this is my list and my blog so I don't care.


10.) Easy A
I honestly don't know if this film is genuinely funny, or if the 80s bratpack movie references just took over the nostalgia part of me, but I really love this movie. Emma Stone is fantastic as always in this film, so many great moments. Really shows what high school is like, and how quickly rumours are started and how quickly you can go from unknown to the most popular name in school overnight. Genuinely hilarious. Apart from Stone, the cast also includes Amanda Bynes, Penn Badgley, Patricia Clarkson, Stanley Tucci, Dan Byrd, Malcolm McDowell, Thomas Hayden Church, Cam Gigandet, Lisa Kudrow, Fred Armisen, and Aly Michalka. This film also made me not hate the song "Pocket Full of Sunshine.


9.) Dazed and Confused
This film has the epic combination of having a cast of excellent stars from the 90s and the fact that it takes place in 1976. Obviously that means that there is a mass amount of partying and marijuana, but its a really great story of what high school is like for kids from all walks of life, and from all points of view. Whether its the mostly geeky soon-to-be freshmen finding out how their summer is going to be filled with hazing and general torture from the seniors about to graduate high school, or as teen finding himself not interested in the things he once was, and now finding himself interesting in things and people that others think he shouldn't be. Love is found, friends are made, all the teens have the best night of their lives. Most importantly though, Wooderson is in this movie. If you do not know who David Wooderson(McConaughey) is, you need to watch this movie.  The cast includes; Matthew McConaughey, Ben Affleck, Milla Jovovich, and Jason London. "Alright, Alright, Alright."


8.) Superbad
The fact that Seth Rogan wrote this film as a teen is both unsurprising, and mindblowing. The level of hilarity that comes out of this film is only equalled by the fact that it was clearly written by/for a teenage boy. However, this does not take away from the level of pure hilariousness that this is, really great writing.  Even though Jonah Hill and Michael Cera had been in a few other successful films/TV shows before, this is their first real big break as leading men and they absolutely kill it, making them household names overnight. Who doesn't love the classic tale of some high school kids desperately trying to get to a party with alcohol to be the heros so they can finally get some action. Absolutely hilarious. I will never be able to listen to "These Eyes" without thinking about this movie, and especially Michael Cera, ever again.

7.) Kick Ass
I think this movie works so well because its something all of us (or maybe just us superhero nerds?) have thought about. What if one day you decided yo wanted to make the world a better place by being a superhero? Batman doesn't have any powers right? The greatest part of this movie is definitely Hit-Girl(Chloƫ Grace Mortez). You just never know whats going to come out of her mouth next, and boy can she handle a knife. Even Nicholas Cage is awesome in this movie. Aaron Taylor-Johnson plays Kick-Ass and I think he plays the nerdy kid pretty well considering how attractive he is. Great movie, so fun and just absolutely hilarious. Can't wait for the sequel to come out later this year!


6.) Monty Python and the Holy Grail
I think its safe today that Monty Python is the most successful comedy group in history. They are absolutely hilarious, and this movie is a prime example of that. I mean, just the concept of the Knights of the Round Table searching for the Holy Grail, with random scenes of singing and dancing, getting directions from God, and meeting random hilarious characters along the way. I think everyone on earth has heard about them pretending to ride horses and using coconuts to make the hoof sounds. Come on, just so good. If you've never seen this film, please re-evaluate your life and watch it immediately. The cast list includes the comedies geniuses; Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Eric Idle, Terry Giliam, Terry Jones, and Michael Palin. Its also #86 on IMDB's Top 250 movies of all time! "We are the Knights who say 'Ni!'"

5.) Zombieland
What's not to love about this movie? Zombies, Woody Harrelson hell-bent on destroying zombies. Jesse Eisenberg being a socially awkward college student finding himself alone once again. Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin as sister zombie slayers hoping to find refuge in an amusement park.  Although undoubtably the best part is an epic cameo from Bill Murray as himself. There are so many epic moments in this movie, and I loved all of them. This movie is disgusting at times, but absolutely hilarious. Hell yes to Zombie movies.
4.) The Hangover
Despite that the sequel was a pretty epic fail, the original is still one of my favorite comedies. The first time I watched it I cried I was laughing to hard. Zach Galifinakis is possibly one of the most hilarious people on earth. If you haven't seen "Between Two Ferns" yet, do yourself a favor and check it out. Even though I'd seen other movies with Bradley Cooper and Ed Helms this was the first time I'd actually known or cared who they were  after watching. I could've lived with a little more Justin Bartha in the film, but the parts he is in are good. Some great cameos from Ken Jeong, Jeffery Tambour, and Heather Graham. There are some really fantastic moments, I mean whats more hilarious then the guys stealing Mike Tyson's tiger? Although my favorite moment I think is "Stu's Song." So good.

3.) Little Miss Sunshine
I absolutely love this movie, its the perfect combination of hilariousness and heartfelt, meaningful moments. This film manages to have a really important lesson, and at the same time make you laugh out loud constantly. Very impressive cast, Abigail Breslin(who so far has made me cry in almost every movie I've ever seen her in, including this one), Greg Kinnear, Alan Arkin, Paul Dano, Toni Collette, and Steve Carrell. This film was even nominated for 4 Oscars and won for 2 of those, Supporting Actor for Alan Arkin, and for Writing. You cannot help but fall absolutely in love with Olive(Breslin) and her quirky family. So hilarious, and also sweet. 

2.) Anchorman
I watched this movie when it first came out so I would only have been about 13 so I really didn't appreciate the pure genius of the humor that was in this film. I watched it again a few weeks ago and I am now fully aware of what I was missing. The cast is stacked full of the most absolutely hilarious people in the business  My feelings on Will Ferrell are pretty hit or miss, but I love him in this one. We also have Christina Applegate, Paul Rudd, Steve Carrell, David Koechner, Fred Willard, Seth Rogan, and Chris Parnell. Plenty of cameos as well including Luke Wilson, Judd Apatow, Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Vince Vaughn, Tim Robbins, Jerry Stiller, and many, many more. If you've seen this movie and didn't enjoy every minute of it, you need to watch it again immediately so you don't waste 7 years of your life, like I did, not watching this movie. Can't wait for the sequel, looks like another fantastic cast!


1.) Clerks II
This movie is definitely not for everyone, and its not for the faint of heart. Kevin Smith is known for very crude humor, and this film is full of that, but man is it absolutely hilarious. I'm actually trying to think of something to quote that I'd feel comfortable with writing and I can't think of anything. Theres an epic Lord of the Rings vs Star Wars fight? Just trust me, its absolutely hilarious, and it kills me every time I watch it. Kevin Smith is an absolute genius. Great cast in this film, Brian O'Halloran and Jeff Anderson are back to reprise their roles as Dante and Randal, of course Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith are back as Jay and Silent Bob, because what would a Kevin Smith movie be without them? Probably bad. Amazingly Rosario Dawson is a main character in this film, which is pretty impressive cause she's a really great actress. Ben Affleck, Jason Lee, and Wanda Sykes are some of the hilarious cameos in this movie. So good all around, but again don't say I didn't warn you, I don't want to be sending good people into this movie to have to witness the insanity that it truly is. But if you're a bad person like myself, you'll be fine. 


Honorable Mentions: Bridesmaids, The Truman Show, Liar Liar, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, This Is 40, Dogma, Mall Rats, Old School Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Ghostbusters, Hot Fuzz,  50/50, Ferris Bueller, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, 21 Jump Street, John Tucker Must Die, Clerks, Shaun of the Dead, The Princess Bride, When Harry Met Sally, Annie Hall, Meet The Parents, I Love You Man, Forgetting Sarah Marshal, This Is Spinal Tap, Home Alone, Jackass, Knocked Up, 40 Year Old VirginWaynes World, Wedding Crashers, Meet The Fockers, Dodgeball, A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas.



No comments:

Post a Comment