Thursday 29 March 2012

Kiwi Film Review: Mystic River

IMDB: 8.0
Rotten Tomatoes: 87%
Roger Ebert: 4/4 Stars


Release Date: 15 October 2003


Stars: Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Kevin Bacon, Laura Linney, Laurence Fishburne.
Written By: Brian Helgeland
Directed By: Clint Eastwood


Described by IMDB as "Childhood friends Jimmy Markum, Sean Devine and Dave Boyle reunite following the death of Jimmy's oldest daughter, Katie. Sean's a police detective on the case, gathering difficult and disturbing evidence; he's also tasked with handling Jimmy's rage and need for retribution."




I've seen this film quite a few times now and I've enjoyed it each time. Its a great story and a great new twist to a murder mystery. I like how each of the three main Characters Jimmy(Penn), Sean(Bacon), and Dave(Robbins) has their own story within the main story of the film. When I found this film in the $5 bin at Walmart last year and saw the names of the actors, I could hardly believe I'd never heard of it. I love Sean Penn in anything I've ever seen him in. He's an amazingly diverse actor, and this role was made for him. I don't want to give too much away about the story, but you really get to know all of the characters quite well. There's a lot of conflict and mystery, as not one but two crime stories have taken place, and you have to figure out if they are connected or not. I have to say its weird seeing a movie that takes place in Boston that doesn't have Ben Affleck or Matt Damon in it.


This has quickly placed itself if my top 10 favorite movies list. Great action, drama, thrills, and mystery. Great ending too. All of the writing and directing was fantastic, as was the acting. I love Emmy Rossum, so I was super happy to see her in it.

That's all I really want to tell about my thought on this film, I'm afraid to give to much away. All I can say is, I love this film, and pretty much anyone else who's seen it. It won best actor and best supporting actor at the 2004 Oscars, and was also nominated for Best Picture that year. So, if that doesn't convince you to watch this movie, I don't know what will.

Overall I give this film a 9/10. Seriously, that good. Go see it now.










No comments:

Post a Comment