Sunday 1 April 2012

Kiwi Film Review: All Good Things

IMDB: 6.3
Rotten Tomatoes: 32%
Roger Ebert: 3.5/4 Stars


Release Date: 9 December 2010


Stars: Ryan Gosling, Kirsten Dunst Frank Langella
Directed By: Andrew Jarecki
Written By: Marcus Hinchey, Marc Smerling.



Described by IMDB as "A love story and murder mystery based on the most notorious unsolved murder case in New York history. The original screenplay uses newly discovered facts, court records and speculation as the foundation for a story of family, obsession, love and loss."


So clearly some mixed reviews. I'm not going to say this movie deserves a 10 or something, but seriously Rotten Tomatoes? 32%? At first I thought I had probably lost my mind or movie reviewing credibility, but Roger Ebert gave it a strong review, so I think I'm fine.

I actually really enjoyed this movie. Knowing right off the bat that it's a true story made it more interesting, terrifying and enjoyable. I love Ryan Gosling in pretty much anything, and I really enjoyed seeing him in a different role then he normally plays. I also didn't hate Kirsten Dunst in this  role, so thats a good sign. I really enjoy movies like this, murder mysteries. I think its mostly because even though we know that David Marks(Gosling) clearly killed his wife Katie(Dunst), he lives in Florida, free, and hasn't served any time for it. I don't understand how that is at all possible as in the film he is portrayed as having a temper with many, many witnesses. However, I suppose not everything in the film is true, which makes it difficult to make a certain decision on it, but even if only part of the film is true, its pretty clear he was a seriously bad dude. I think the film was pretty well done. Constantly interesting, you just don't know what will happen next. It had the same feel as Zodiac in the sense that its a true unsolved murder, where the film gives you a clear murder, who has still not been charged. These films really tend to be more intense because you really know how it ends from the beginning.



Luckily, for his sake, they changed his name in the film, but I will not give him the same courtesy.  His real name is Robert A. Durst, a real estate investor in Florida. Its actually quite sickening that he most likely got away with not one, but three murders. I was only charged with one, which he convinced them was self defence, and only received 9 months in jail for wrongly disposing of a body. Insanity.


Overall I'll give this film a 7/10. I'd definitely tell just about anyone to see it.



No comments:

Post a Comment